Sunday, September 11, 2011

Concert Review, as Magickal Ritual


I was running late but i was in the flow. Feeling unhurried, soaking up the sights and sounds of Portland, Or. on a summer's night. I lived around here, years ago, and i had to leave, inadvertently. It was one of my life's big regrets, as i was digging the Northwest and wanted to check it out more thoroughly, but i still had some more learning to do. Now the universe had come full circle and deposited me back in Portland, and i rode the MAX in quiet reverie to see Neurosis play with Grails.

Music Fest Northwest has been going on all week, and earlier in the day i had been sitting outside of Pioneer Square, reading tarot cards and listening to Eluvium and Typhoon, a great Portland band, color the creamy hazy late afternoon. I met up with a new friend, walked around and had a fabulous dinner of baguettes and spinach salad, courtesy of Food Stamps, and watched as a hallucinogenic hunter's moon rose in the aquamarine sky. It was definitely a night for ritual, ritual was happening all over.

I could hear Explosions in the Sky playing at Pioneer Square as i calmly rushed to the Roseland Theater. I was late, and missed Akimbo and YOB, about which i was momentarily bummed, even contemplated turning around. I was down to my last 20 bucks on earth, just enough to get in the show. There was one ticket left, at the Will Call, and it was obvious that i was in the right place at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment