Monday, October 10, 2011

While You Were Sleeping



Here's another somnambulent mix, for the late night confessionals.

Poetics aside, i'm really pleased with how these discs came out, some really lovely slo burners. A nice introduction to my early holy holies, Dead Can Dance and Cranes, mixed with more recent introductions to the canon like Michael Hurley and Vic Chesnutt. This is music that inspires and drives me, keeps me company while the rest of the world is sleeping. Peel back the curtain, and take a peek into my cellar...

A friend of mine was asleep on the couch, same locale as tender sweet enlightenment, a month before. I was thinking back on all that had gone before, love lost, love regained, love vanishing like some magician's cruel sense of humor. Kicking out the late night vibes, dreamy, mellow, lovely. My friend slept peacefully, breathing regularly. Together but alone.

And here's the real shit, the writing on the wall: what is love, anyway? Is it marriage and procreation? Is it physical? Is it practical? Does it make sense? I fell in love with a girl, doing my best to be bold and follow my instincts. It was timeless and revelatory. It cracked me open like Vesuvius. But the fact of the matter is that i never see this person, she is intensely tied up, living up to her destiny, and i have done my best to be respectful, low pressure, giving space where space is needed.

Then there's this other woman, my awesome soul sister. We drink coffee and smoke cigarettes in the morning, walk around town and make bizarre sound collages and talk about everything under the sun and the moon. Things in motion, unfurling like the banner of some dead empire; springing back to life, flowing with the dusty blood of poets, unfolding into mystery. Radiating in the inky blackness, glowing like a pierced heart, sparking like damaged telephone lines, dead voices reciting.
Undefinable, unknowable. Majestic. Mystical. Regal. Lovely. Something being born...

3 weeks ago, i was dead sure. I had LOVE pegged down, botanically classified. Put under glass. Now, i don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Doing my best to do the next right thing, the thing in front of me. Right now, it is being honest and vulnerable, and spilling the soundtrack from a beautiful evening, so you can have a soulful night of yr own. From my brain, to yr living room.

Track Listing

1. Slowdive - Souvlaki Space Station
2. Cranes - Watersong
3. Dead Can Dance - The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
4. Julee Cruise - Into the Night
5. Gregory Alan Isakov - The Stable Song
6. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
7. Cat Power - Say
8. Michael Hurley - Troubled Waters
9. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Feeling of Gaze
10. The American Analog Set - The Green Green Grass
11. Kronos Quartet - Psalom (Arvo Part)
12. Cocteau Twins - Oil of Angels
13. The New Year - Sinking Ship
14. Vic Chesnutt - ?

1. Hildur Gudnadottir - Overcast
2. Dreamer's Cloth - The Coconut Pearl B2
3. Flying Saucer Attack - My Dreaming Hill
4. Aerial M - Dazed and Awake
5. Colleen - Floating in the Clearest Night
6. Eluvium - New Animals from the Air
7. Dakota Suite - One Day Without Harming You
8. Thomas Brinkmann - LopLop
9. Hauschka - Weeks of Rain
10. Hauschka - Nadelwald
11. Fursaxa - Firefly Refrain



No comments:

Post a Comment